Fish kebabs with lemon, pepper, red onions and bay leaves
Author: Ozlem Warren
- 350 gr/ 12 oz. skinned, boneless Northern Pike (or any firm fleshed fish), cut into bite size chunks
- 1 red onion, quartered and coarsely sliced
- 2 red pointy (or bell) peppers, deseeded and coarsely sliced
- 1 lemon, cut into small wedges
- 5 – 6 fresh bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. / 30 ml olive oil (for roasting the vegetables)
- For the marinade:
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 – 2 teaspoon Turkish red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 350 F
- Cut the skinned, boneless cod lion (or your choice of firm fleshed fish) into bite size (about 3 cm/1.2” in.) chunks.
- Place the fish in a bowl and stir in the olive oil, lemon juice and red pepper flakes. Season the fish with salt and ground black pepper. Gently coat the chunks of the fish with this marinade.
- Cover the bowl and set aside for 15 minutes to marinate and for the fish to absorb the flavors.
- Place the chopped red onion, red pointy (or bell) pepper and green pepper slices on a baking tray. Drizzle 2 tbsp. olive oil over them. Season with salt, ground black pepper and mix well.
- Thread the fish on to the skewers, alternating with a wedge of lemon, red onion slice, red and green pepper slices. Thread one or two bay leaves into each skewer. Brush the kebabs with any leftover marinade.
- Place the skewers at one side of your baking tray. Spread the remaining chopped vegetables next to the fish kebab skewers. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve the fish kebabs hot with roasted vegetables and a wedge of lemon by the side. Boiled or roasted potatoes also complement the fish kebabs well.
Soak wooden skewers in water for 15 minutes before using.